Style and Formatting Guidelines
As you’re writing, keep the following style and formatting guidelines in mind. In an effort to speed up turnaround time, and keep our articles consistent across our site, please review these guidelines prior to submitting your blog.
Our voice is:
- Conversational / Friendly
- Knowledgeable (here’s something cool you can learn!)
- Motivational / Positive
- Community-oriented (we’re in this together!)
Speak directly to the reader with second-person voice, e.g. “You and your teacher will do this…” as opposed to “Students will learn X in their lessons…”
SPELLING AND GRAMMAR GUIDELINES
- Use a single space after a period.
- For numbers, spell out numbers one through nine; use numerals for 10 and up
- Contractions are preferable (“It’s” vs “It is”)
- OK: not okay
- Media usage: Capitalize and use quotation marks (‘ ‘) around the titles of books, songs, television shows, computer games, poems, lectures, speeches and works of art. Magazine and newspaper titles are just capitalized.
- LessonSociety: one word, capital L and capital S